In this case, the slope would have to be excavated to make space for the feature that is to be built at that spot. While this is a good solution, it also leaves a large portion of the mud and soil exposed and without any support. It is at these sites that retaining walls are built to hold back a grade. In some cases they may be built to divert water runoff too.
We at Fikes Design LLC are one of the leading retaining wall contractors in Penrose, NC. We have handled a significant number of landscaping projects for customers in and around Hendersonville, Asheville, Brevard, and Waynesville.
We have handled a significant number of retaining wall construction jobs as part of these projects. We can also tackle standalone retaining wall design and planning tasks as part of your landscape upgrade project.
Retaining Wall Facts
- Retaining walls can be built using various materials, such as field stone, stone, engineered concrete blocks (CMUs), outcropping as well as wood timbers.
- In order to construct a retaining wall, we first consider the drainage aspect as well as the backfill. This is important to prevent the wall from collapsing during the freeze-thaw cycle.
- When we use fieldstone in the construction, the gaps between the stones don’t need to have any drain tiles; however when CMUs or wood are used in the construction, we will install drain tiles, to give the water a channel to escape.
- Our experts will identify whether a retaining wall is the only option or whether some strategically-placed stone outcroppings will serve the purpose. These installations reduce the flow of water down sloping areas and add become an interest point in your landscaping.
- We can also add more functionality and aesthetic value to these installations by incorporating in-built seating or planter features at the top of the wall
Custom Designed Retaining Walls
Retaining walls are always customized to match the setting they are to be installed in. We have expert masons that handle this job and ensure that it is completed in a skilled and expert way. We use the best materials in our work and build retaining walls that provide the necessary support to your landscape.
If you are looking for a company that can provide you customized and high-quality services at very competitive landscape design cost, Fikes Design LLC is the company to contact. Speak with our experts at 828-329-8925, and discuss your project details with them.